One Pot Spicy Basil Chicken boasts a delicious spicy sauce, comes together in a few short minutes, and is also healthy- it’s the perfect dinner!
This One Pot Spicy Basil Chicken is seriously such a simple recipe, and everyone always loves it. I’ve been making it for years actually, and am finally getting around to updating this post with new pictures – hallelujah! If you like easy healthy recipes (scroll all the way down for nutritional info) that pack a punch of flavor, this one is definitely for you!
One of the things that makes this One Pot Spicy Basil Chicken so easy, is that the ingredients are minimal, and you might even have most of them in your fridge or pantry, especially if you cook asian style food ever. The other thing that makes it super easy…ONE POT!! Let me tell you, this specific high sided skillet will change your one pot game – trust me, you need it in your life! I will say, make sure you use the fish sauce in this recipe, because it really adds a nice element to the dish. Otherwise all you need is the chicken, soy sauce, cornstarch, some chili paste, and basil…told you it’s simple!
This Spicy Basil Chicken is healthy too, coming in around 254 calories (see bottom for nutritional information) for one fourth of the recipe (most likely over 1 cup of chicken). Now, of course you need to add in whatever you serve this with as well, but it’s overall a low calorie dish.
Different ways to serve the Spicy Basil Chicken:
- Serve over brown rice with some steamed vegetables.
- Whip up some quinoa on Sunday, and use throughout the week – serve the Spicy Basil Chicken overtop the quinoa.
- Make my One Pot Spicy Thai Noodles or Spicy Thai Zoodles, and add the chicken in with the recipe – so good!
- Add the One Pot Spicy Basil Chicken to a delicious fresh salad – use extra sauce (or double the sauce recipe), and use it as a delicious low calorie salad dressing!
One Pot Spicy Basil Chicken
- 2 tsp canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 TBS fish sauce
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 2 tsp lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/4 tsp . chili paste (such as sriracha)
- 2 tsp water
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- dash of salt
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves (torn apart)
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan, allow to heat up. Add shallots and garlic and saute for about 30 seconds. Add chicken and saute until chicken is cooked through, about 7-9 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, sugar, soy sauce, chili paste, water, cornstarch and salt. Add mixture to chicken and turn heat to high; cook for 1 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Stir to coat the chicken. Remove from heat and stir in basil leaves.
- 3. Serve immediately.
For exact calories, you need to weigh your chicken breasts or take weight off package.
Recipe adapted from www.EatYourselfSkinny.com
Like healthy recipes as much as I do?! Check out these other recipes from Domestic Superhero:
Thanks for visiting!