We love Chinese food over at my house, but we don’t really order it much because I haven’t been able to find a place that doesn’t cook with an excessive amount of oil or msg. I found a recipe for Hot and Sour Soup over at the JessFuel blog, and with a couple of little changes I gave it a try. It turned out really great, and was easy to make. It makes a HUGE pot of soup, probably around 6 servings or more (big servings). I made it with ginger garlic broccoli and zucchini, and it was delicious. I will post the recipe for that later this week. This is great for the cool weather that has been popping up now that it is fall!
Probably the coolest part of this recipe is when you stream the egg whites in…they cook instantly and it’s a really cool effect. My husband thought it was the coolest thing ever!
Hot and Sour Soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp dark sesame oil (divided)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tbsp minced or grated fresh ginger
- 1 carton vegetable broth (32oz)
- 2 1/4 cups water (divided)
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb firm or extra firm tofu (diced)
- 2 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- Salt (to taste)
- Cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 3 egg whites lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1. Heat olive oil and 1 tsp sesame oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add red pepper flakes and cook 1 minute. Add mushrooms and saute until soft and browned. Add garlic and ginger and continue sauteing 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- 2. Add vegetable broth and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add vinegar, soy sauce, pepper and tofu, and simmer another 3 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 1/4 cup water and cornstarch. Add to pot and continue simmering 3 additional minutes, stirring frequently. Season to taste with salt & cayenne (I like it spicy, so I used about 1/4 tsp cayenne).
- 3. Slowly stream egg whites into the pot while stirring continuously. Remove pot from heat and stir in green onions and remaining 1 tsp sesame oil.
- 4. Serve immediately
Like healthy soups? Check out all my skinny soup recipes:
You can also connect with me here:
Thanks for visiting!