I am so excited to share this delicious fall recipe from Vanessa. Apple season is in a full swing, and there are many occasions where a yummy Apple Coffee Cake is in order! This is a perfect fall treat, or dessert for Thanksgiving (who is planning their menu’s already?!)!
Apple Coffee Cake by Vanesssa
Last weekend was a cold rainy weekend, and I was itching to do some baking. I’ve recently started baking from scratch, which is something my mother always did but I usually kept to the boxed items. Scratch is SO much better though and I almost always have everything on hand so I’ve pretty much stopped buying the boxed mixes.
This particular day I had apples I needed to use so I went to my favorite cookbook. The books that come from the church ladies are ALWAYS my favorite. They always have the most basic recipes I enjoy making, and I usually have everything I need on hand. I grew up eating these exact recipes so it’s always very comforting enjoying them. This one was found in the breakfast and brunch section….
Apple Coffee Cake
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 TBS margarine
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 medium apples (peeled, cored, and sliced.)
- Add baking powder and salt to flour and sift
- Cream margarine and sugar. Add egg, beaten until fluffy.
- Combine Vanilla with milk and add alternately with dry ingredients to creamed mixture.
- Brush a 8 in square pan (I used a round cake pan but it turned out a little thicker then I would have liked) Grease pan. Pour batter in pan and arrange apples slices in overlapping rows on top of batter. Crumble topping on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Vanessa, her husband and their 22 month old son live in Iowa. She is a part time stay at home mom and part time Diaper Parties consultant (on top of her PT “day job”) and you can check out her facebook page here. She also loves to bake, craft and DIY but says “lets be honest -that usually just means pursuing pinterest for hours !”
Thank you for contributing the delicious recipe to my blog, Vanessa!